Issues on PI

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:19 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi.
I have it compiled & configured, but when i try to run it i get this error:

Missing timezone.0x52284

Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Regards,
Josh
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2014 at 8:23 AM
Well, it seems I added an old config to the 2.4 release...
You need to add an entry Timezone=Europe/Brussels
Adapt it to your timezone (see date_time_zonespec.csv)

To localize or translate the events, you can add locale=nl-NL
default locale is en-US

Verify if date_time_zonespec.csv and TagList*.txt are copied into the release folder

I'll update this asap
Marked as answer by SBF on 9/16/2014 at 2:08 PM
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Hi

Struggling to get past this installation point: Unwrapped files from SMAspot_SRC_240....tar.gz on pc, then transferred to my pi via usb stick & copied to the smaspot directory as per SMAspot install on Raspberry Pi V.5. make release produced this error:

test -d bin/Release || mkdir -p bin/Release
test -d obj/Release || mkdir -p obj/Release
g++ -Wall -O2 -c TagDefs.cpp -o obj/Release/TagDefs.o
In file included from SMAspot.h:44:0,
             from TagDefs.cpp:34:
boost_ext.h:39:53: fatal error: boost/date_time/posix_time/posix_time.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [obj/Release/TagDefs.o] Error 1

Help would be appreciated! I started with Noobs so I am one and proud of it!

Regards, Martin
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM
@fc_solar
Sorry, documentation is not yet up-to-date
You need to install libboost
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
Be aware there are still some bugs which we have encountered today.
Marked as answer by SBF on 9/16/2014 at 2:08 PM
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Thanks SBF.
libboost has sorted out a few things so I am proceeding through your instructions. I will let you know how things go when I have time to revisit. The Pi is completely stable so far which is reassuring! I am presently about to edit smaspot.cfg .
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Well, it seems I added an old config to the 2.4 release...
You need to add an entry Timezone=Europe/Brussels
Adapt it to your timezone (see date_time_zonespec.csv)

Yes I had to add this line!

then:
pi@raspberrypi ~/smaspot/bin/Release $ ./SMAspot -v -u
SMAspot V2.4.0
Yet another tool to read power production of SMA solar inverters
(c) 2012-2014, SBF (https://smaspot.codeplex.com)
Compiled for Linux 32 bit

Commandline Args: -v -u
Reading config './SMAspot.cfg'
Tue Feb 11 23:05:49 2014: INFO: Starting...
sunrise: 07:35
sunset : 17:18
Nothing to do... it's dark. Use -finq to force inquiry. _ This line made me laugh and anyway it's time for bed!
pi@raspberrypi ~/smaspot/bin/Release $
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Adding the Timezone line & installing libboost got me up & running.

Thanks for your help.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:28 AM
fc_solar wrote:
sunrise: 07:35
sunset : 17:18
Nothing to do... it's dark. Use -finq to force inquiry. _ This line made me laugh and anyway it's time for bed!
If 17:30 is too early to go to sleep, use this:
pi@raspberrypi ~/smaspot/bin/Release $ ./SMAspot -v -u -finq
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Good Morning SBF
It's getting better all the time as the Beatles used to sing.

Thanks for your reply and today is another day.
I have another problem now - see below.
The Release file has these files:
date_time_zonespec.csv TagListDE-DE.txt TagListFR-FR.txt
SMAspot TagListEN-US.txt TagListIT-IT.txt
SMAspot.cfg TagListES-ES.txt TagListNL-NL.txt

Do I need a file for UK?

SMAspot V2.4.0

Wed Feb 12 09:54:41 2014: INFO: Starting...
sunrise: 07:33
sunset : 17:20
Error: Could not open file ./TagListen-US.txt
Error reading tags
pi@raspberrypi ~/smaspot/bin/Release $

Sorry I have so many questions but this thread will help others along the way.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM
No problem... here to help
I think there is a case sensitivity problem on RPi only (I tested only on ubuntu and there it works)

You can try one of these options:
  • change config file: locale=EN-US
  • rename TagListEN-US.txt to TagListen-US.txt
There is no file for en-UK

please let me know if this works, so I can fix it in 2.4.1
Feb 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Ah! Ha! Renaming the file in the Release directory TagListEN-US.txt to TagListen-US.txt is the fix. Initially I made both changes but then changed locale=EN-US back to default and here we are.
I spent a while trying to cd to the Release without capitalizing the "R" so CAPS are needed sometimes.

SMAspot V2.4.0

Wed Feb 12 11:42:24 2014: INFO: Starting...
Error: Wrong number of items on line 21 [./TagListen-US.txt]
Connecting to 00:80:25:18:26:8E (1/10)
Initializing...
SUSyID: 125 - SN: 982906739 (0x3A95F773)
SMA netID=02
Wed Feb 12 11:42:54 2014: CRITICAL: Failed to initialize communication with inverter.

Now I think we need some users & passwords. I tried to remove passwords on "installer" and "user" but the SMA inverter would not comply! Just for the moment I changed both to "pi"

One other point if I may
Is there a way stopping SMAspot running, as in "tightvncserver -kill :1" ? It might be very handy in this phase of installation!
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
dear fc_solar

about the time-zone:
  • the SMAspot cfg file includes as well information on the location,
    it is the combination of location and timezone that is used by SMAspot
    to know where you're system is and to calculate the sunrise/sunset time
  • there are two other options: CommandLine Option -finq this one forces inquiry
    in the SMAspot cfg the SR offset default 900seconds
about the logon and passwords:
-after the installation of an inverter: the password for user remains set to "0000"
most installation-engineers keep, as well, the password for installer at "1111"

SMAspot applies: default UserGroup =user and default password set to "0000"
if you modify in the SMAspot.cfg the password for user in "pi" it might be the cause for NOT connecting
for user it is best to stick with password "0000"

about testing and capturing fault information:
to view more details in the output log, eg about errors and execution, you better use the options -d5 -v5
if the output is too large on screen, then you can use the output redirect swithces 1 > log-stdout.txt 2 > log-stderr.txt
be aware with these switches you will not see output on screen - you need to open these files

during the testphase you can omit the option -u
the test for the upload to pvoutput can be started once SMAspot produces the correct .csv files

kr wim
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Thanks very much kr wim.

I will try this later and post the result!
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Edited Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM
fc_solar wrote:
I spent a while trying to cd to the Release without capitalizing the "R" so CAPS are needed sometimes.
Yes, for a linux noob this can be very frustrating
SMA netID=02
Wed Feb 12 11:42:54 2014: CRITICAL: Failed to initialize communication with inverter.
When you have only 1 inverter and your netID > 1 the you need absolutely to set MIS_enabled=0 in the config file (to disable Multi Inverter Support)
Is there a way stopping SMAspot running, as in "tightvncserver -kill :1" ? It might be very handy in this phase of installation!
Don't know why you should need this?
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I have tried MIS_enabled=0 (&1) - now set to 0 as suggested. I only have one inverter, think the id can be set with dip switches under the cover
I have reset SB passwords to default installer 1111 and user 0000
still stuck in the same place
I have a sunny beam connected to the SB and I noticed this has a password, so will be seeing if can be removed in SB explorer later
I have also tried that p/w instead of 0000 in SMAspot.cfg
I have to do other things now, so watch this space
Is the error, Wrong number of items on line 21, important?
Thanks to SBF & SillieWimons
Back about 19:00 UT

Commandline Args: -v
Wed Feb 12 14:38:38 2014: INFO: Starting...
Error: Wrong number of items on line 21 [./TagListen-US.txt]
Connecting to 00:80:25:18:26:8E (1/10)
Connecting to 00:80:25:18:26:8E (2/10)
Initializing...
SUSyID: 125 - SN: 942900202 (0x383383EA)
SMA netID=02
Wed Feb 12 14:39:15 2014: CRITICAL: Failed to initialize communication with inverter.

ps have moved pi to about 4 metres of SB
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM
dear fc_solar, after reading the above text - to avoid confusion about it - i'd like to get the info about your installation, below are some quesions and remarks:

about the password for installer: this CAN NOT BE SPECIFIED via the SMAspot cfg file
the password in the SMAspot cfg is the one for user - if, example given, you specify twice password then SMAspot takes the second one as the user password
the selection for 'installer' and installer's password is part of the CommandLineOptions
  • if in doubt (that is the reason that i'll ask on the PC-BT available - this can be a tool to validate the correct settings via SunnyExplorer
about the worng number of items on line 21
line21 was an empty line(in my case) - compare carefull the file in the progam dir with the original one
the previous line is a long serie of #
the following line should read 1=[%]\0\%

remember my proposal to use, during the test phase, the command: SMAspot -d5 -v5 (or SMAspot.exe -d5 -v5)

about your configurtion:
  • a SMA SunnyBoy inverter: which type ?? the type will also handle the question: -is it a Blue Tooth piggy back unit in the inverter ?? or included
    be aware that the type of BTmodule in the inverter has an influence on the type of info that SMAspot can extract,
  • a sunnyBeam "CONNECTED" to the SunnyBoy - can you clarify this: - do you mean physical wire connect (RJ485/SpeedW) or BT or is this another type
    is this a SunnyBeam BT11 or another version (for your info i do have a SunBeam as well)
    the rational of this question: you mention a password via the SunnyBeam ?? can you be more specifique where in the SunBeam menu's that you found this??
  • a Raspberry Pi with a BTinterface
    ?? do you have a Windows PC with a BTinterface as well??
important about BT and the distance between your inverter and the RPi:
  • I'll guess that your RPi has a class2 BTdongle - (everyone refers to this to have 10meter reach - that is not correct - the better assumption is <4meter)
  • so free-air distance between RPi and inverter should in preference be less then 4meter
    if needed use a (male/female) USB extension cable to get the BT dongle closer - this is easier and cheaper then going out for a class1 dongle
    walls and other material, that break the direct line, reduce the reach
  • the box around the inverter is designed as a magnetic shield to reduce the "radiation" going out from the inverter - hence shields the BTsignal to enter
!! the SunnyBeam has a better antenna then your BTdongle (so it has a higher reach ~12meter)

kr wim
Feb 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Much appreciate your interest in my problem.
Quick answers to your questions as I am short of time today.
Yes I have a PC with the sunny explorer program and the user password is now definitely "0000"
The SB is a SB 3000TL-20 with internal BT card.
I have a Sunny Beam BT-11 remote readout which connects to the unit. It definitely has a password which seems unchangeable. I intend to get in touch with the UK agents to delve into this. They were very helpful when the previous Sunny Beam failed.
As mentioned previously the Raspberry Pi has a USB dongle which communicates 100% with the SB. Running hcitool scan on the Pi always connects. It is within 4m.
It could be a problem with the dongle however as Pi only approves of certain dongles. It was one I had already and I think that the test shows it is working. It also finds various mobile 'phones etc. pi@raspberrypi ~ $ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
    00:80:25:18:26:8E       SMA002d SN: 2100353044 SN2100353044
    30:38:55:A8:51:C7       mcd's b/u 2
I will get back on the case later today
Thanks again
Feb 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM
dear fc_solar, - for reason of good understanding remember that SMAspot project is recently moved, for project hosting, from google code to codeplex

on the website google.code project "SMAspot" (the former project hosting site for SMAspot) you can find older, but still valid information, including:
•a list of proven dongles,
•references to experiences of other users, (there is also a section: "issues" and in the home page a discus-forum)
note: this information has not been moved from Google code to CodePlex,

about your BT-11 - if it fits to you keep me posted about the password story with the BT-11
  • I've gone through all menu's (on my BT-11) but not found it
    can you inform about the FW version of your BT-11 see menu -> apparatus-info - SunnyBeam (list of info: SerNbr; FWversion; HWvers; BTvers; Accu; NetId; - )
    be aware: the communication between SunnyBeam and Inverter might use another net-id (decimal value = 17)
about the result of the "hcitool scan" I don't know what equipment is related to this BT address: "30:38:55:A8:51:C7"
  • as part of a step-step elemination of causes it might be worth to analyse
may i propose that you search on the SMA-website for the documents about the BTinterface,
there are instructions about the way to "commission" the BT interface,
  • one of the steps is to find / control for a "free" net-id !! if net-id=2 is in use by non-SMA equipment this ?might? influence the communication,
  • the document assumes that you have SunnyExplorer
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:10 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Hello SillieWimons and other posters

In reply to your points:

I will recheck a few items on the old google site, I think that is where I started. You have a Sunny Beam BT-11 as well.
Sunny Beam FW ver: 1.02.0.R HW: E2 Bluetooth ver: V1.208.4 NetID: 0
The BT address found by hcitool scan "30:38:55:A8:51:C7" is just an old Nokia phone that I use to listen to the radio. I have turned it's BT off.

I have done a bit of research in the manual about the BT interface on the SB but I think most of it applies to adding multiple SB's to the system.

Here is a bit of dialogue I have had with SMA -uk support:

Your Sunny Beam has the default password of 0000, I assume you have tried this?
If you can log on using Sunny Explorer etc.. to your inverter, the next step is to do a hard re boot of your sunny beam, this will unfortunately remove any existing data that’s on it, however, it will pick up the Etotal etc.. from your inverter once it re connects.
To do this, please firstly save any data from it on your computer, then, press and hold down the button for approx. 5 seconds, you will then see the SMA logo appear, then you will be prompted to set up the sunny beam again date/time etc..
If this still doesn’t connect, please connect to your inverter and change the user password back to 0000 click save, your sunny beam should then connect,

Sent: 13 February 2014 16:09
To: Service SMA UK
Subject: RE: Technical enquiry

I already have your software for PC to communicate with the Sunny Boy with Bluetooth and am familiar with the downloads etc.

However it is a fact that my Sunny Beam has a bluetooth password which I have changed to test, and, not unexpectedly, this then shows the inverter as locked.
This is the nature of my query - does the SB BT module have password capability, and if so, how do I go about removing it temporarily? The Raspberry Pi with SMSspot software running is capable of uploading the data from the SB directly to PVoutput.

This link will fill in the background to what I will achieve eventually! https://smaspot.codeplex.com/discussions/529513#post1207578

If you can throw any light on the BT setup in the SB I would be grateful.

I am still waiting for a reply on the above.

This is a copy of some ongoing correspondence with a friend of mine who has his RPi working with his SB - note I gave you a credit!

My slow thinking brain has just realized that the lines of programme code are in a file called TagListen_US.txt (Am I right here?)
The file lives in the same directory as the SMSspot programme, along with SMSspot.cfg

I am almost convinced that is where my problem lies. Could you please extract that file from your Pi SD with your clever drag and drop system that I will need to get to put it back in. The clue here was provided by SillieWimons on CodePlex , I followed his advice about line 21 in the aforementioned file and I am not there yet!
Your file, which works with your Sunny Boy, is my best hope. If that does not fix it I will change the BT stick on the Pi.

All very interesting so long as you are a bit nerdy!
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Sorry did not mean to shout I should have previewed it first!
Tried to edit the shouty text but I have given up
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM
dear fc_solar, - i did try, to understand what part in your answer is about the interaction with SMA-uk anf what is not,

to ease the comms I copied section-by-section your text - marking it with quote-fc-solar-quote and ending with end-quote
!! my interpretation on the way the codeplex modifes text and markers is novice

__quote-fc-solar-quote __ (sillies comment: i understand that the below is information about your BT-11
Sunny Beam FW ver: 1.02.0.R HW: E2 Bluetooth ver: V1.208.4 NetID: 0
end-quote-fc-solar

__quote-fc-solar-quote __ (sillies comment: that SMA manual is not only usefull to handle severals SB into one system but also in all cases where
ohter systems, example if your neighboor has also a PhotoVoltInstall, might interact with yours)
I have done a bit of research in the manual about the BT interface on the SB but I think most of it applies to adding multiple SB's to the system.
end-quote-fc-solar

quote-fc-solar-quote
(sillies comment-1: this is one section of your interact with SMA-UK, - by the way - i' did learn something nex from it)
(sillies comment-2: according info from my SMA-Solar-academy trainer - there is an "unlock" procedure in case of lost passwords
from my understanding; each inverter has additional "hidden or preset" passwords that allows to log-in and to remove-change passwords
this procedure is to be followed if passwords are lost - SMA (UK) must ask for this information to the manufacturig site (SMA-germany)
and at least your serial-number is needed for this)

Here is a bit of dialogue I have had with SMA -uk support:

Your Sunny Beam has the default password of 0000, I assume you have tried this?
If you can - - - - -

I am still waiting for a reply on the above.
end-quote-fc-solar

quote-fc-solar-quote
(sillies comment-3: the files TagListxx_xx.txt does not contain a program but provide a translation from a TAG-number to text,
in previous versions of SMAspot, that table was somewhere incorporated in the defintions of the code and SMAspot did only 'speak' english,
the new version allows to give an output text in several languages: English, German, French, . . . )
(sillies comment-4: if that file is in doubt you can recuperate an original one from the 'donwload' section or at 'sources')

My slow thinking brain has just realized that the lines of programme code are in a file called TagListen_US.txt (Am I right here?)

end-quote-fc-solar

kr wim