SMA connection

Topics: 1. General
Dec 1, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM
Hi ,

Is it possible to use SBF program to read SMA inverter via Internet. I mean to use a router connected to inverter and calling the inverter variables by SBF program from some where else through internet connection.
another question is about the possibility of using SBF spot to read Sunny Web box?

Thanks for your advices.
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Is it possible to use SBF program to read SMA inverter via Internet. I mean to use a router connected to inverter and calling the inverter variables by SBF program from some where else through internet connection.
AFAIK, this will not work
another question is about the possibility of using SBF spot to read Sunny Web box?
For the moment, this is not in the scope of SBFspot
Dec 3, 2015 at 10:59 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2015 at 11:00 PM
It sounds like you have a network connection on the SMA inverter already (btw SMA Tripower has it as standard) so just add that into your home network either by cable or use a WiFi range extender which has a cable connection as well such as Tenda N300 (about $30) and that will get you onto the internet. Then if you haven't done it already just register your SMA serial number on the sunnyportal.com website and you can access the power output and graphics from there via the internet.
Dec 4, 2015 at 8:52 AM
Dear infinityab ,

Yes our inverter is STP5000 and it has network connection. Do you mean using Sunnyportal for monitoring SMA ?
When the Sunnyportal is working with webconnect/speedwire interface and SBF program supports webconnect/speedwire , it seems it should be possible to use SBF program via Internet. Doest it?
Dec 5, 2015 at 8:17 AM
No. This is the way I see it, so if anyone else knows better please correct. The SMA blurb is confusing, the so called webconnect is integrated into only a few SMA inverter models and the STP5000 is one them, all it means is that there is a working network port available but no WiFi which would make life much easier.

To export the SMA data the SBF software runs on your Pi, Linux box or PC but it can only suck the data out and forward it to wherever and in most cases this will be to the PVoutput website, thus one way traffic. To gain access to YOUR data from outside of this local function you will need some sort of secure server running and a means to access that via a local route through your internal network. Possibly you could access the data using Remote Desktop as well but that is a clumsy approach.

Connecting to the sunnyportal via your internet router will give you indirect internet access but this data is really just a mirror of what you will get from PVoutput except it is personal and it probably has better historical graphics presentation. If you really want to get to the real data then probably the simplest way would to build an HTTP webpage from the data and create a micro secure webserver with say an wifi ESP8266 which costs just a few $, but not sure about the security side though. I have one of these built as a wifi webserver decoding the meter pulses and converting them to Power Consumption to display on my Pi solar management system, it also retrieves NTP time as well so has an external function - but that's only for internal use.
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Dear infinityab ,

I followed your proposal with Dlink 3G router (DWR113) , but I couldn't communicate with sunnyportal . I just could register it but the inverter can not send information on line to sunnyportal. As I asked someone he advised the router shall support SIP protocol to be able to communicate with sunnyportal that seems my router doesn't support it.
My question is have you connected any inverters to sunnyportal by Tenda 300 that you have proposed already? Unfortunately I couldn't find Tenda300 , do you know some similar router to support from Dlink , TPlink or other manufacturers.
Jan 22, 2016 at 2:39 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2016 at 4:36 AM
Hi Solar_Fan

Use a range extender with an RJ45 Network port, these will work independent of protocol but has to be connected to a standard router not a 3G version as you were using. I use the Tenda A301 N300 Range Extender which gives you the Network socket as well as optional WiFi connections as well. The connection of the Range Extender to your main Router is via WiFi. It is available on ebay and elsewhere. Very sensitive receiver and has a good range.

The TPLink WDR4300 N750 Gigabit Router also works very well with the SMA inverter also providing multiple additional ports. This has a very fast OS and I have used this router and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware then configuring it as a Wireless Bridge to the main router (a Netgear 3300) - details are on the web how to do this. This is an exceptionally good dual band router and cheap to buy second hand as no longer manufactured.
Jan 22, 2016 at 9:09 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2016 at 9:45 AM
Hi infinityab ,

I connect the inverter directly to the router by a cable , I don't want to use wifi connection on inverter.
In my topology there is just an inverter and a router , there is not any devices .
I use a 3G router with 3G USB modem connected to router. what a bout this case , does your solution work ?
I have to use 3G technology to access to internet in the site , I don't have any options like ADSL or others?
Jan 23, 2016 at 12:44 AM
OK you have to use 3G. I'm not sure that SIP sessions are suitable or permissible on 3G Networks and may be blocked, someone else may know better?

I would suggest you contact an SMA snr. tech advisor for this one, maybe Nick Borowiec or someone else on the smainverted.com website might be able to help you with your 3G connection as this is essentially an SMA connection issue.