New commandline argument: -ae
perhaps -ae0 ??

Thanks,
Ron
Feb 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM
dear ron,

as for the options month and daily .csv file
the selection to inhibit the archive events is -ae0

!! be aware in version 240 the -ae0 did produce an empty file, - I did not yet test this for v241

if the archive events file botters you (is as problem for your operational environment)
there are two ways:
  • use the -ae0 command
  • use the "outputpathevents" parameter in the config file
    thus the events are written to another directory
i leave it up to you, if you consider it worth to request a change on the default for the events file to "0" = "OFF"
  • please if you do so, give the arguments why, eg in your setup this is a problem
kr wim
Marked as answer by SBF on 9/16/2014 at 2:07 PM
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Hi Wim,
Thanks for getting back to me. I was not thinking. I could have simply invoked smaspot with the -? parameter. Getting lazy in my old age, I suppose :-[ .

The issue is not a "big deal". It is just one more file I don't need to clean up occasionally. When I get around to writing a script to examine the contents of the events file and send an alert email (if needed), then I will turn events on. As it stands now the file needs manually examined on a daily basis. My solar installation and applications are pretty much on autopilot now. I may take a look at things perhaps once per week, at the very most.

Regards,
Ron

On 2/24/2014 1:05 PM, SillieWimons wrote:

dear ron,

!! be aware in version 240 the -ae0 did produce an empty file, - I did not yet test this for v241

if the archive events file botters you (is as problem for your operational environment)
there are two ways:
  • use the -ae0 command
i leave it up to you, if you consider it worth to request a change on the default for the events file to "0" = "OFF"
  • please if you do so, give the arguments why, eg in your setup this is a problem
kr wim

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM
dear ron,

I did create several items on the wishlist that i did send to luc
these items are related to enhancements on SMAspot to assist "automated supervision" on my installation

-1- a point I'd like to get added was: "cumul" either as last xxhours or as == last-in first-out
rational:
for automated supervision tools the output of SMAspot implies the introduction of options like:
"cumul" or "latest" outputs -> this option should render an output of ONLY the last xx hours
in accordance with your comment: a best choice for this output is: -> last records get first postion in output-list

this option is valid for "dedicated" production of events, daily, monthly output files
note: the spot-table last-in first-out is not in line with the basic method to interact with the inverter,

note:
sbf stated - !!! this might be availalbe after sql-lite is available !!!!
but his comment is limited to outputs from SMAspot only
in my humble opinion PVccupload might offer an alternative solution to extract last recorded information

-2- another point I'd like was to improve the possibility to extract "information" via the debug-output files
rational: not all data-fields that are read from the inverter is written to the .csv files
-for dedicated analysis the other fields are interesting,
-to-day in the debug-output file the data-parsing does only show one value (per SMA-data-record)
the records of the spot values, idem for all values that can be retrieved from the inverter, contain more info

-3-SBF, and i do agree with his opionin, has no intention to extend the functionality of SMAspot with a treatment (read-out) of other devices, (each group of equipments has its own specifique needs - thus its better to use independent sw for read-outs)
rational: for most of these additional devices, eg: - environment information (temp-sunradiation-. . ); - ACvalues (Pac, Iac); - . . . there are tools available that deliver an output of these data (in .csv form)

-4-In my opinion, SMAspot is perfect to:
-4.a-retrieve all kind of data from SMA systems,
-4.b-deliver the information in the desired output formats: -csv; -povoutput; -textual (via logfile); - sql-lite; - . . . .

-5- In my opinion, SMAspot should not be extended for post-processing tool,
rational: in a complete system, several data sources/systems are in use, a single mega-tool to catch all data will allways be less flexible and wll contain more compromisses then individual tools

thus it is easier to apply a post-processing tool that reads and sorts the outputs - for instance:
  • treatment for alarm handling: that 'post-procesing' tool should read and sort data according the rule
    -- last records (most recent) -> first in list to be treated
    -- treatment (combination) of records limited to last xx hours
-6- the rational on my long term plan is:
6.1- Modular approach
SMAspot is an excellent source of information from SMAinverters
and all development should focus on this major function.

A single module can include FREQUENT USED EXTENSIONS
eg. sending SMA information to PVoutput is such a frequent used extension

6.2- Indipendence of "DATA-GATHERING" from "DECISION-MAKING" from "ACTION-HANDLING"
A modular system includes units to:  3.2.A-capture data   <-->  3.2.B-take decisions    <--> 3.2.C-execute actions
combining data from several sources (eg pvccupload) can be part of 3.2.A.  or  3.2.B
simplified decisions (eg alarm detection) can be part of 3.2.B or integrated with 3.2.C
6.2.A data gathering is done by: eg SMAspot

6.2.B decision taking
an integrated system must cope with several data-sources: -temperature, -energy-used (Pac via CurCost), -. . . 
for most data sources an output in .csv file format is available

an integrated system can take decisions after analysis of its data-sources
the decision system should work according "strict" rules, an "non-nested" example is:
 -if %A% > 'Treshold-1'  then  ACTION-B    else   NO-Act
where:
%A% is a value obtained as the result of an analysis of available data, eg: %A% is "actual Uac-Main"
"Action-B" can be: send 'command to an USB-array control board' - to switch a Relay from "ON" to "OFF"

6.2.C actions
most tools that allow to take actions have dedicated software included
as such - it is easier to cope with a methode to call for these units

I'd like to get your comments on your method of development / implementation in your system

Note: If I understand it, your actulally step-step extending your system for longer "unattended operation"

kr wim
Feb 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Hi wim,
The -ae0 parameter works fine in V241. This fine for me. The events file is no longer created. What would be handy is a list of all the events a particular inverter can produce. I will do some checking around on the internet and determine what is available. Once I have that info, I may change my application to scan the events file for warnings and critical errors and subsequently generate an email.

Regards,

Ron

On 2/24/2014 1:05 PM, SillieWimons wrote:

dear ron,

there are two ways:
  • use the -ae0 command
kr wim

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM
dear ron,
about the events - have a look in the text file that are now part of the package:
  • the tags with "Evt" in the name are candicates to appear in the events list,
  • I'll look whether a can find it, I did see a (short) list of the more common ones,
in practice you will need:
  • to sort the events file into reverse order (last-event -> first) to treat it
  • perhaps it might be sufficient to filter on "installer" events only - to reduce the list
kr wim