Which image for raspberry pi

Topics: 1. General
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Edited Aug 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM
I got everything to work on wheezy, but do you need to use this distribution? Won't it work just as well on a wrtg image? Those are only 30-40mb :-)
Remco
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Don't know anything about wrtg (link?)
But I don't think so
Aug 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM
I'm using a RPI for a heatermeter. That's a box that controls a fan to keep your bbq at a set temperature. Output is through a webserver and you can link several temp-probes to it. All configurable through your phone or tablet. Yes, it's nerdy, but you can use it to keep a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) on 107 degrees for 10-12 hours easily to smoke the perfect meat. General info on the heatermeter: https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

Anyhow, the image that's used for that (open wrt) is a stripped down linux-build with apache and mysql already present and the image itself is only 30-40mb instead of the 2-3gb wheezy raspian wants. Actually, it's only 36mb. Since you don't need all the extra stuff with wheezy, wouldn't you think this'll work as well?

Even though I am happy it works now I might give it a go after sun-down. Latest image can be found on http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_pi
Just in case it DOES work, I'll document it ;-)

Remco
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Any news about this test with OpenWRT?
Sep 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM
No real progress yet. Turns out that the latest builds occasionally have problems on the newest RPIs. Apparently it has to do with some of the chipsets that differ opposed to the older models. Gave it a few tries with older builds and got the distro and all running, but ran into problems with the proper BT libs. Since I do have a working configuration now I'll look into it in the future once the problem is sorted out. The time I am spending on it now is automate a process to render my own graphs/stats based on logging so I am not only dependent on external sites like pv output :-) I'll keep you posted when I have news!
Remco