Log data in UTC-time

Topics: 5. Support
Aug 31, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Hi,

thanks for creating this great piece of software!
Is it possible to log all data in UTC time, to avoid day ligth saving problems?

Kind regards,
Simsa
Aug 31, 2015 at 11:47 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM
hej simsa,

to avoid DayLightSaving switch-overs -> you can reach this with some simple changes - highlighted below

the below info corresponds with my setup for UTC + 1 (UTC + 0 == Coordinated-Universal-Time ~=Greenwich time)

??? can you please explain why you want to obtain this setting and what exactly you need it for ??? thanks
  • be aware that in the past several demands have been raised (discuss and issues) about similar subjects
be aware
!!! i did not modify the timezone setting -> modifying timezone might cause problems since your solar-production differs to UTC-timeplan
!!! your demand has an impact on the time settings in your system
!!! not all combinations are possible - depending on what you want to obtain

kr wim

-- details - - - -

in my setup i did switch off the DLS option in ALL my PV-related equipment (and it works fine)
-1- inverter
-2- the CPU that i use to run SBFspot
-3- SunnyBeam11
after that all my output tables / database / time-info in reports is now local-time & DLSoff =/= UTC

-a- step1: put DLS off in your inverter,
-> for this you do need to use sunny-explorer (see SMA's web site for latest version)
sbfspot is a great tool for inverter observation - but it does not replace all options by SunExplorer

-b- step2: put DLS off in your CPU system,
-> to my knowledge all operating systems / CPU systems allow to do this

-c- if you have other equipment that can send/receive data from your inverter,
examples are: sunny-beam, home-manager, multi-gate, . . . . go into the menus and set DLS to OFF
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2015 at 7:33 AM
All dates in the SQL db Tables are UTC (as UNIX timestamp)
You can create views to convert them to a human-readable format as UTC time (do not change the existing views as they can change in future releases)
For CSV there are no plans to output as UTC
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:12 AM
Hi,

thanks for your reply and the detailed description!
Is that correct, that if I switch off DLS in my inverter and in my CPU system the CSV are also without DLS?
??? can you please explain why you want to obtain this setting and what exactly you need it for ??? thanks
The reason is that we have some more datalogging devices and it is hard to synchronized the data if they have different timestamps. And i want to avoid having data for the same hour in october or to have one hour missing in march, that's always an nightmare :)
Sep 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2015 at 3:18 PM
dear iwes,

-a- about your question
"Is that correct, that if I switch off DLS in my inverter and in my CPU system the CSV are also without DLS?"

yes - the timestamp for the records in your csv files will be "local-time with DLS=OFF"

-b- take care
the best period to go for a "DLS-off" status is in WINTER TIME,
then you can "relaxed" modify all the parameters and settings in your system and validate them

if you modify theses settings "today" during operational moments, eg middle of day
then you risc to have "holes" in your tables

-c- please have a look to issue C128 and C068
if accepted by sbf then C128 will allow you to READ the inverter settings
(without needing to activate SunnyExplorer)

kr wim