IMPORTANT NOTICE: V3.1.1 retired

Topics: 1. General
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM
Edited Sep 21, 2015 at 9:21 AM
It has been decided to retire V3.1.1 after reading this German post (Goolgle translation) and this document where it is clearly stated on page 8 and repeated on several pages:
Damage to SMA inverters
The parameters of the SMA inverters that can be changed with writable Modbus registers
(RW/WO) are intended for long-term storage of device settings. Cyclical changing of these parameters leads to destruction of the flash memory of the devices.
  • Device parameters must not be changed cyclically.
Altough it was a request of several users to have the possibility to change some of the inverter settings, I don't want to ignore such a clear warning. As long as these settings can't be done in a safe way, the -apl option will be removed. I also strongly advise NOT to use the -apl switch with already downloaded files.

I want to remind every SBFspot user about the disclaimer noted on the homepage
A user of SBFspot software acknowledges that he or she is receiving this software on an "as is" basis and the user is not relying on the accuracy or functionality of the software for any purpose. The user further acknowledges that any use of this software will be at his own risk and the copyright owner accepts no responsibility whatsoever arising from the use or application of the software.
Sep 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM
Thank you for theses advices.
Could you tell us if the other 'standard' requests made by the SBFspot tool are totally in a read only mode ?
When it reads the spot values can we be sure that nothing is written in the inverter flash memory ?
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2015 at 2:35 PM
Only version 3.1.1 is affected. ALL other versions are ABSOLUTELY SAFE. There is no data written.
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM
I've no other solution than using the 3.1.1 release because of the comm buffer issue.
If I use the standard command line arguments (without -apl options), it should be OK, no ?
*a bit scared * ;)
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM
As long as you don't use the -apl switch in V3.1.1 there is nothing to be scared of. No damage will be done.
Sep 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM
In the most recent version 1.4 of the SMA document "SunSpec_Modbus-TB-en-14.pdf" you find a bit more specific warning now:

Damage to SMA inverters
The parameters of the SMA inverters that can be changed with writable Modbus registers
(RW/WO) are intended for long-term storage of device settings. Cyclical changing of these pa-
rameters leads to destruction of the flash memory of the devices.
• Device parameters must not be changed cyclically.
Parameters for the control and limitation of the nominal PV system power - identified in this docu-
ment with the appendix Parameter for PV system control - are an exception. Such parameters
can be changed cyclically.

When looking through the Modbus registers you find on page 28 a WO register 40349, which is used for cyclic power output control.
In order to access this parameter via Speedwire, you need to activate the Modbus-Server on the inverter (see page 15 of the document).
Sep 30, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Hello folks,

Volunteers needet:

maybe someone with a Sunnyboy and a Speedwireconnection to a SHM with Powercontrol activated (mostly a german problem), can do a portmirroring and some wiresharking, so someone here can probably translate an see what the SHM send to the SB.

Anyone first? If help needed, i will do my best. And sorry for my bad english.